Saturday 12 December 2015

In bonds, but free - Saint Swithun Wells (2), Elizabethan English Saint and Martyr, December 1591

IN BONDS, BUT FREE
Saint Swithun Wells (2)
Saint Swithun Wells, layman, English gentleman
© 2010 Mary's Dowry Productions
Screenshot from 'Saint Swithun Wells' DVD
From a letter to his brother-in-law, Mr Morin, also a recusant:
"I have been long in durance and endured much, but the future reward makes pain seem pleasure. And truly now the solitariness causes me not grief, but rather joy, for thereby I can better prepare myself for the happy end for which I was created and placed here by God. I am also sure that, however few people I see, yet I am not deserted, for 'he whose companion is Christ is never alone.' When I pray I talk with God; when I read he talketh to me, so I am not lonely...Though I am bound and chained with fetters, yet I am loose and unbound towards God; and it is better to have the body bound than the soul in bondage. I am threatened hard with danger of death; but if it be no worse I will not wish it better. God send me His grace, and then I weigh not what flesh and blood can do to me. I have answered many probing and dangerous questions, but I trust with prudence and tact, not offending my conscience. What will become of it God knows best, to whose protection I commit you. From gaol and chains to the Kingdom. Thine to life's end."
 
"So then, brethren, we are not children of the bond woman, but of the free, by the freedom wherewith Christ has made us free." - Gal. 4. 31.
 
Reading for 12th December
Mementoes of the Martyrs and Confessors of England and Wales
by Henry Sebastian Bowden of the Oratory.
 
For films about the English Martyrs:
 
Directing 'Alice Wells' in prison for our film about Saint Swithun Wells
© 2010 Mary's Dowry Productions

On set in the home of Saint Swithun Wells
Filming for Saint Swithun Wells DVD
© 2010 Mary's Dowry Productions
Saint Swithun Wells was executed in Elizabethan England  on the 10th December 1591 for allowing Mass to be said in his London home, sheltering priests and having a secret Mass room, also for refusing to denounce the Catholic Faith.
 
Saint Swithun Wells DVD:
St. Swithun was named after an ancient saint of England often invoked for the weather.  As a young man he travelled the continent before he met and married his devoutly Catholic wife, Alice.  St. Swithun loved to share the faith during a troubled time in England and put himself out to ensure that the Mass was made available.  He built a secret room in his London house where his friends could celebrate Mass and when it was finally discovered he joyfully faced his calling, leaving us a moving and inspiring witness of Catholic faithfulness.  Featuring moments of creation and beauty with original haunting and medieval music written for the film.

In 2007 Mary’s Dowry productions created a new form of film media to present the lives of the saints. Mary’s Dowry Productions recreates stunning silent visuals, informative, devotional narration, and original contemplative music that touches your spirit to draw you into a spiritual encounter with the saint. Watch with your spiritual eye, listen with your spiritual ear. Our films seek to offer a window into the lives of our saints. Using your spiritual senses we invite you to shut out the world, sit prayerfully and peacefully and go on a journey of faith, history and prayer with Saint Swithun Wells.

Length and
Format:
The film runs for 30 minutes and is available on Region Free DVD worldwide.


No comments: